From STNY LUG Wiki
Independent Web Developer
Information Technology Consultant
Servers I run generally use FreeBSD (including the one for this wiki), as it provides a great balance of speed, stability, security, and compatibility. For special security needs, I'd turn to OpenBSD. For networking specialty hardware, I'd explore the options of NetBSD or an embedded Linux.
While BSD may excel on the server end, Linux generally provides a richer multimedia experience at present, so I prefer it on the desktop and mobile devices. Since I favor KDE (K Desktop Environment) for managing my application windows in a graphical environment, I am partial to desktop distributions where KDE is well-integrated.
I'm currently using PCLinuxOS on my primary desktop. It's a well-integrated KDE distribution, blazingly fast, and everything "just worked" with a minimum of configuration. I downloaded, burned, and booted the LiveCD; gave the distro a test drive, liked what I saw, and decided to install it; and ultimately found it very quick to get everything installed, configured, and updated. I've been using it since December of 2007.
I'd like to try out Arch Linux next when I have more time to spend on setting up a desktop environment, as I keep reading that it is very BSD-like in nature. I would also consider giving openSUSE another shot.
interos: internet operating system
interos.org: internet open source
interos.org exists for the development of open source Java and Flash web applications for an open web platform. interos.org is also host to a number of non-profit wikis (including this one). The main site and its wiki are also in development, and their launch will coincide with that of interos.com.
Solution stack for web applications
A solution stack is a set of software subsystems or components needed to deliver a fully functional solution, e.g., a product or service.
- LAMP is a typical web application solution stack:
- The STNY LUG Wiki uses:
- Mozilla Firefox
- Synaptic Package Manager
Please add suggestions for wiki content below:
- Merge Current events and Calendar
- Community to do list
- Create a logo with tux riding a carousel horse (great idea, nolhay!)
- Install extension for safe use of HTML tags (no cross-site scripting vulnerabilities) for uses such as embedding Google Calendars and YouTube content
- Main Page (Any suggestions for changes/additional content?)
- Maps (MapQuest and Google Maps to Binghamton University Downtown Center)
- Template for meeting minutes: attendees, discussion (this meeting/next meeting), external links
- Give nolhay a candybar (King Size Twix) at the next meeting for all his good work on the wiki!
- that I created for the wiki